Aid Available for Growers Affected by Wildfires
The United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) has announced it will distribute up to $2.36 billion to farmers and ranchers affected by hurricanes and wildfires. California growers who were affected by the recent wildfires are encouraged to sign up for the 2017 Wildfires and Hurricane Indemnity Program (2017 WHIP). Sign ups will begin no later than July 16.
The 2017 WHIP program will provide disaster assistance according to the following principles:
- Eligibility will be available to producers in counties designated as presidentially-declared disaster areas due to wildfires or hurricanes
- Compensation will be determined based on a producer’s individual losses
- Producers who purchased higher levels of risk protection (crop insurance and noninsured crop disaster assistance program) will receive higher payments
- Producers can receive advance payments up to 50 percent
- Recipients will be required to obtain future risk protection
The USDA’s Farm Service Agency will provide additional information at a future date. Growers can contact their local USDA service center for more information.