California Avocado Society Annual Meeting Includes Field Tour, Conference and Awards
The California Avocado Society (CAS) will hold its annual meeting from October 20 – 21, 2017 in Ventura County. The two-day event will include a field tour and annual meeting with presentations from industry experts, a grower panel and award presentations.
The field tour will take place on Friday, October 20 from 12:00 – 4:30. The tour begins at Hansen Agricultural Center located at 14292 West Telegraph Road, Santa Paula, CA. The tour will take place as follows:
- Calavo Avocado Ripening Facility — Review avocado ripening technology and management
- Fruit Growers Laboratories — Examine leaf and soil analysis technologies
- Brokaw Orchard — Tour high density groves and discuss management changes over time
- Domingues Orchard — Review high density management and pruning practices
The tour will finish with a BBQ and reception at Limoneira Ranch Headquarters from 4:30 – 7:30 p.m. The cost of the tour is $25 for CSA members and $35 for non-members.
The CAS Annual Meeting will take place at the Four Points by Sheraton located at 1050 Schooner Drive, Ventura, CA on Saturday, October 21 from 7:30 a.m. – 2:45 p.m. The cost for this portion of the two-day event is $85 for members and $95 for non-members. The speakers for the annual meeting include:
- Scott Bucy, Vice-President, Fruit Growers Laboratories — Soil and Plant Analysis: Common and Not So Common Problems
- Dr. Raquel Folgado, Cryopreservation Researcher, The Huntington — Cryopreservation of Avocado Germplasm and New Technology Spin-offs for Propagation and Breeding
- Consuelo Fernandez, Director of International Cooperation, Brokaw Nursery — Gem Variety Management, and New Rootstocks
- Dr. Peggy Mauk, UCR Director of Ag Operations and CE Subtropical Specialist — Rootstock Trial Progress
- Brittany Collins, Owner and Chief Pilot, HawkEye Imaging — Remote Sensing Technology—Now and in the Future
- M. Cristina León, CAS Board Member — Highlights of the CAS tour to Michoacan
- Grower Panel — Shawn Martin, Organic Grower Carpinteria; Kevin Ball, Ag Land Services; Ed McFadden, Orchard Manager. Moderated by Susan Estrada, Newsline Editor.
- The session will include award presentations for the Oliver Atkins Award and the Award of Honor.
Interested parties can register for the CAS Field Tour and Annual Meeting online through the CAS website.