Hass Avocado Board Seeks Candidates
The Hass Avocado Board (HAB) election process has begun with the mailing of announcements of open seats to all eligible producers and importers of Hass avocados. HAB, which promotes the consumption of Hass avocados in the United States, seeks board members with diverse skill sets who are interested in supporting this mission. The 12-member board directs HAB’s promotion, research and information programs under the supervision of the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA).
HAB board nomination forms are due March 29, 2018. Interested parties can download the 2018 producer nomination packet and the 2018 importer nomination packet. A complete list of duties and responsibilities is also available online. HAB holds four board meetings per year.
The complete HAB election schedule is as follows:
- March 1— Announcement of open seats
- March 29 — Deadline for receipt of nomination forms
- April 12 — Deadline for receipt of candidate statements
- April 19 — Ballots mailed to producers and importers
- May 17 — Deadline for receipt of ballots by independent accounting firm
- May 25 — Deadline to receive election results from accounting firm
- June 18 — Deadline for receipt of background form/lobbying declaration by candidate
- July 2 — Forms, outreach summary to AMS and nominee names to USDA Secretary
- November 14 — New members and alternates are seated